Saturday, July 2, 2016

Oracle Pool Paul



 Oracle Pool Paul is a poem dedicated to Paul the Octopus (now deceased) who had a predilection toward predicting the winners in some of the games in the soccer world cup held in South Africa in 2010. Some folks, however, weren't too happy and wanted to eat him alive, no kiddin! Here's how he dealt with them.



Oracle Pool Paul,
    Master Prophesier,
  We hope a Clean
    Bill of Health is
    Comin your way.

   Sure, Oracle Pool Paul,
   Says, Lotsa people
  Over The Moon ,
  The Spanish…Champions!
  They Say It’ll Be
A Hundred Years of
Drinkin, Partyin…Floatin!
Nothin like a good celebration!
Buuut, there are those,
Pretty Cut Up
Gee, They Look Mean,
Me They Warn,
We Got Knives
And of You
We’ll Make a Meal,
I Tell Them,
Hey I Can
Only Pick One,
It’ll all
Fair and Square.


 Now, Paul’s always
 Getting Quizzed About
His Soothsayin Ways,
Why do you always plump for one side?
How Do You Do It?
Is There a Science Behind It?
Intuition, boys, it’s intuition,
Paul’s answer always,
Never forgetting to add,
I am strictly a football soothsayer,
I don’t like draws,
Hence one side earns
 a nod of approval
from my myriad tentacles.

 Now, the sides he din’t fancy,
Well, they were anything but happy,
 Some threatened to SQUISH HIM, SQUISH HIM…
SQUISH HIM SOME MORE,
 till he was nothing but a blob of jelly.

 A Clean Bill of Health Beckons Paul,
 But Boy, It was Touch and Go,
 The Enraged Few Were Intent
on Turning him
 into Eight Legged Soup,
But you know,
Then a funny thing happened,
The enraged few wanted to buy him,
Buy Him!
Yup, buy him,
From the enraged few
 They became contrite with a Big C,
Many of them
were goin through
A rough patch,
They all wanted Him
to be their own personal clairvoyant,
Are things gonna get better?
I am a straggler,
Will I become a millionaire?
Their ready questionnaire,
Anyway, Paul declined,
I am strictly a football soothsayer, he said,
They became the
enraged few once more,
dished out the same threat,
which was to turn
Paul into Eight-Legged Soup,
But by now the octopus
Had flown the coop,
He found safety in his sea-house,
in fact he found
 more than safety,
rumour has it
he never missed an
opportunity to live it up,
more on that in
another write-up.

 Some years later though
Paul the Octopus passed away,
His epitaph read,
I was the first football soothsayer,
Others who’re goin to follow
won’t look like me for sure,
Nor will they be As good as me,
Hell, I should’ve been
Given a Nobel!
You Know… Upon Reflection
I think I Should’ve been
a betting man,
Everything…I mean everything
that I forecast
Checked out,
Could've Made a Million!
Damn!

Hope enjoyed the poem by me. An earlier version of the poem was published by Forward Poetry-- a London-based organisation. I am a writer and journalist from Calcutta, India. Please note the content is not to be used without the author’s permission. If you dig the poem do let the whole world know about it. Name of Author- Indrajit Dutta 

Email addresses of author -- indrajitdutta13187@gmail.com , indrohippie@gmail.com 

Link to Facebook page--   https://www.facebook.com/monniker 
Link to Twitter page--  @duttaindro .
















No comments: